While I am not a fan of the traditional name (Sloppy Joes), I am a huge fan of this Ground Turkey Sloppy Joes for a few reasons. 1. It’s easy. 2. Mine are made with ground turkey. 3. The levels of flavors are complex and unexpected. Bet you never thought someone would describe the flavors of Sloppy Joes as complex and unexpected! Here’s the comforting dish!
Quick and Easy Ground Turkey Sloppy JoesPrint Recipe
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 shakes Worcestershire Sauce
- 5 shakes Tabasco Sauce
- Olive oil
- Sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Burger buns, toasted
1. Begin by drizzling the Dutch over with olive oil over medium-high heat.
2. Next brown the turkey meat. While they are browning, dice the green pepper and onion. Once the meat is 90% finished, add the peppers and onions, salt and pepper.
3. Once the onions are translucent, add the garlic, ketchup, brown sugar, chili powder, dry mustard paprika, cayenne pepper. Stir and let simmer for 5 minutes. Then add Worcestershire and Tabasco. Let simmer for another 15 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
4. Toast the buns, add a heaping spoonful of the turkey mixture, top with shredded cheese and bon appétit!
*If the mixture becomes too thick, add 1/4-1/2 cup water to thin it out.