I wasn’t, and still am not sure what to actually call this sandwich because it is a replication of a meatball sub, but the meatballs are not round. They are flat like a burger patty. That’s why I call it an Italian burger. I think that is the light switch turning on, I hear, it’s a eureka for sure. The name once was meatball sandwich, but now you will see it being called Italian burger. I just needed to think out loud, well on the keyboard, I guess.
This recipe is really simple. Here are the ingredients and instructions.
Amazing Italian BurgerPrint Recipe
- 1 bag whole wheat burger buns
- sliced provolone cheese or mozzarella
- 1 cup warmed up homemade tomato sauce or your favorite pre-made, store-bought sauce
- INGREDIENTS FOR THE BURGER PATTIES:
- 1 pound extra lean ground turkey
- 1 pound extra-lean ground chicken
- 1 pound lean ground pork
- 1 1/2 tablespoons, pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- handful freshly chopped parsley
- 2 cloves garlic minced very fine
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- INGREDIENTS FOR THE BURGER BREADING:
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon pecorino Romano cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F, line the baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Gather all your ingredients and place all ground meats into a large bowl, trying to break it up a little.
3. Place both kinds of cheese, bread crumbs, minced garlic, chopped parsley, dijon mustard, sea salt and pepper into the bowl.
4. Whisk both eggs in a small dish and pour them into the bowl as well. Mix all the ingredients of the burger patties together until everything is well blended. The mixture should hold well together when you roll it in your hands.
5. I used a size 16 scoop to portion the mixture into equal size burgers.
6. Scoop out a spoon full of the mixture, roll it in your hands, then lightly flatten it.
7. On a plate, blend bread crumbs, parmesan and pecorino cheese, blend it together.
8. Take the flattened burger and press it gently into the bread crumb mixture on both sides, place it on the baking sheet and repeat until finished.
9. Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake it for 10-12 minutes, remove from oven and flip over, place it back into the oven and bake it for another 12-15 minutes till fully cooked, juices run clear, and they are a nice golden brown color.
10. While the burgers are baking, prepare the bread, tomato sauce and cheese. I used whole wheat bread buns. You can use whatever you like or have on hand.
11. I like to toast the buns lightly and place a few slices of either provolone cheese or mozzarella cheese on the bun. Once the burgers are done, place a burger onto each bun top with tomato sauce, a slice of cheese, sprinkle with parmesan or pecorino, a dash of black pepper and top with the top burger bun. Serve warm.
12. You could always place the burger back in the oven for a few minutes under broil just to melt the cheese a little, but watch it carefully not to burn, and make sure to take the top of the burger bun off while doing this.
- This recipe makes 22-24 burgers.
- I use a few when I make them and then freeze the rest in an airtight container that is freezer friendly for another day of quick and easy dinner nights.