Try this meatball marinara sub when you are tired of eating your meatballs alone. Putting them in a sub with a nice bread is just too good. You may even toast the bread to make it more enjoyable to eat, and you can choose any kind of bread to use–from French baguette to ordinary hotdog buns, you’ll love this for sure.
Cast Iron Meatball Marinara SubPrint Recipe
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 pound package of ground sweet Italian Sausage
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup of Italian style bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- 1 tablespoon of dry oregano
- 1 teaspoon of dry sweet basil
- 1/2 teaspoon of granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix and assemble meatballs by combining the meat, egg, bread crumbs and spices. I made use of an ice cream scooper to make them all the same size.
- Place the meatballs in a pre-heated cast iron skillet brown on each side for about 10 minutes on medium-high heat.
- Once browned on both sides, drain any oil, pour your marinara sauce directly in the cast iron skillet over the meatballs.
- Bake with the bread at 400 degrees for 20 to 22 minutes. For the last 5 minutes, sprinkle some mozzarella cheese in the skillet.