When I was growing up, I was one of the few kids who preferred a sausage roll to a meat pie. If I walked into a bakery, there was never any competition between the two, no matter how ‘fancy’ the meat pies sounded (Thai green chicken curry pie, anyone?).
And even though I’m all grown up, I still love it when I get the chance to slather some tomato sauce on a sausage roll and dig in.
My Favourite Recipe of Beef and Pork Sausage Rolls
Here’s a relatively easy recipe for sausage rolls that uses a mixture of ground beef and pork, along with some other veggies and a few herbs/spices.
Gourmet Beef and Pork Sausage Rolls
- 1 pound ground beef (minced beef) - lean
- 1 pound ground pork (minced pork)
- 1 medium carrot - peeled and finely diced
- ½ cup heavy cream (also called thickened cream)
- ½ medium white onion - diced
- ¼ teaspoon thyme - dried
- ½ teaspoon sage - ground
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- 1 medium egg whites - whisked with 1 tablespoon of water
- Preheat your oven to 350°F/175°C.
- Break the bread into chunks and add to a food processor to create bread crumbs. Add crumbs to a bowl and cover with the cream before setting aside.
- Pulse the ground beef in the food processor until it is very well ground, almost puree like. Move the ground beef to a large bowl and pulse the pork to the same consistency. Add pork to ground beef in the bowl.
- Add the onion, carrots, thyme, sage, curry powder, garlic powder, and salt to the bowl, along with the cream soaked bread crumbs. Mix well with a fork.
- Cut each sheet of puff pastry in half to form 4 long sheets of pastry.
- Separate the meat mixture into quarters and roll each quarter into a tube roughly the same length as your pastry.
- Place each tube onto one of the pastry pieces and roll the pastry around the meat to fully enclose. Moisten the seam to seal the pastry around the meat.
- Cut each meat-filled pastry tube into four pieces and place them onto a baking tray seam side down.
- Brush your sausage rolls with the egg wash and cook for about 40 minutes.