Creamy Coconut Lamb Curry
This creamy coconut lamb curry is perfect if you like Indian dishes. It's so authentic and tastes so close to actual Indian curry recipes.
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoon chili powder (chilli powder in British English)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric - ground
- 2 cloves garlic - crushed
- 2 large tomatoes - diced
- 2 medium green chilis (green chilli in British English) - de-seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 kilogram ground lamb (minced lamb)
- 2 cups chicken stock (chicken broth or chicken bouillon)
- 1 medium lime
- ⅓ bunch cilantro (coriander)
- 3 cups white rice - boiled to serve
- Heat oil in a frypan over medium heat. Add onion, garam masala and fennel and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until onion softens slightly.
- Combine coriander, chilli powder, turmeric and 2 teaspoons of water in a small bowl. Mix to a paste and add to frypan. Add the minced garlic and allow to cook for about 1 minute.
- Add tomato and sliced chilli. Cook for 5 minutes. Then put the lamb and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes until well coated in the spice mixture.
- Add stock and stir. Allow to boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for one hour.
- Meanwhile, combine coconut, cashews, poppy seeds and one cup of water in a bowl. Allow to stand for 20 minutes. Get a mortar and pestle (or food processor) to grind to a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Add the prepared paste, lime juice, and most coriander leaves to the lamb.
- Serve with plain rice, pappadums and yoghurt. Sprinkle with remaining coriander leaves.
Calories: 1051kcalCarbohydrates: 87gProtein: 39gFat: 60gSaturated Fat: 23gPolyunsaturated Fat: 6gMonounsaturated Fat: 27gCholesterol: 129mgSodium: 482mgPotassium: 856mgFiber: 5gSugar: 6gVitamin A: 778IUVitamin C: 14mgCalcium: 156mgIron: 5mg
Have you tried this recipe?Please leave a rating and comment.