Coconut Lamb CurryPrint Recipe
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2 teaspoon of garam masala
- 1 teaspoon of ground fennel
- 1 tablespoon of ground coriander
- 2 teaspoon of chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 green chillis, de-seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 kilogram of minced lamb
- 2 cups of chicken or lamb stock
- 3/4 cup of desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup of raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon of poppy seeds
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/3 bunch of fresh coriander
- Plain boiled rice, to serve
- Pappadums, to serve
- Natural yoghurt, to serve
- Heat oil in a frypan over medium heat. Add onion, garam masala and fennel and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until onion softens slightly.
- Combine coriander, chilli powder, turmeric and 2 teaspoons of water in a small bowl. Mix to a paste and add to frypan. Add the minced garlic and allow to cook for about 1 minute.
- Add tomato and sliced chilli. Cook for 5 minutes. Then put the lamb and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes until well coated in the spice mixture.
- Add stock and stir. Allow to boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for one hour.
- Meanwhile, combine coconut, cashews, poppy seeds and one cup of water in a bowl. Allow to stand for 20 minutes. Get a mortar and pestle (or food processor) to grind to a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Add the prepared paste, lime juice, and most coriander leaves to the lamb.
- Serve with plain rice, pappadums and yoghurt. Sprinkle with remaining coriander leaves.