There is something so scrumptious about penne and rigatoni. Each little pasta tube fills with sauce like a flavour bomb exploding. That’s why I made this rigatoni bolognese recipe. Check out the simple recipe here.
Rigatoni BolognesePrint Recipe
- 1 pound of whole wheat rigatoni pasta
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves of roasted garlic, smashed
- 1 pound of fat ground beef
- 4 15-ounce cans of Tutorosso tomato sauce
- 1 capful of Mrs Dash Italian seasoning
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup of Pecorino Romano cheese
- Whole milk ricotta cheese
- Pecorino Romano cheese
- Saute onions in the olive oil over medium heat in a large pot until translucent.
- Add the roasted garlic and red pepper flakes; continue to sautee just a minute. I always add my red pepper flakes to the olive oil to bring out the flavour.
- Brown the beef with the onions and garlic. I do not drain as I slow cook the sauce and the bit of fat from the meat enriches the flavour. You could constantly adjust for your personal preferences and cook/drain the beef separately.
- Add the tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, cheese, and pinch of cinnamon to the pot. Stir to combine. The tiny pinch of cinnamon adds richness and warmth to the sauce.
- Allow to boil, then reduce heat to a simmer for several hours. Cook at least 4 hours.
- Serve with pasta, topped with ricotta, pesto, and grated cheese.