Sometimes I wonder if people in Mexico are happier than the rest of us just because they get to eat Mexican food every day. This Gratifying Pan De Burritos recipe is one of my favorites and it’s among the best burrito recipes I have ever tasted.
Gratifying Pan De Burritos
- 1 cup cabbage - finely shredded
- 1 cup carrot
- 500 grams ground beef (minced beef)
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese - grated
- 1 large avocado - mashed
- 1 clove garlic - mashed
- 1 cup tomato - stewed
- 1 medium green chilis (green chilli in British English) - seeds removed and sliced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro (coriander)
- 50 grams sour cream - lite
- 1 medium lime - cut in half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Heat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Grease a large oven pan and sprinkle a little of the cabbage mix so burritos won’t stick.
- Mix the avocado with the garlic, a pinch of salt and pepper, and juice of half a lime and spread evenly on all tortillas.
- Spread cream cheese evenly on all tortillas.
- Put a little coriander on all tortillas.
- Distribute remaining cabbage mix overall tortillas.
- Sprinkle about half of the mozzarella over all tortillas.
- For vegetarian burritos, add chili beans, sliced chili, and red onion before rolling up.
- Heat a frying pan for the meat filling, add mincemeat, and let it brown a bit.
- Add sliced onion, salt, pepper, cumin, chili beans, and 1/2 cup of tomatoes.
- Add bay leaf and sliced chili to taste.
- Let simmer until almost all sauce has gone.
- Evenly spread meat mixture over tortillas, top with a bit more coriander.
- Roll burritos and place them snuggly in the oven pan.
- Spread the remaining tomato on top, drizzle with juice from the remaining lime, and put the used lime pieces in a pan.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake the burritos in the oven for 20 minutes or until cheese is starting to brown and tortillas become crispy on top.