I went to the kitchen with the intention of making meatloaf. You know, with the onion, bread crumbs and ketchup. But I found I only had a red onion and a bottle of ketchup that was practically empty. That was the day my Southwestern Style Meatloaf Recipe was born.
I love ground beef and all the dishes you can make with it. But I like to limit my red meat, so I use ground turkey for things like spaghetti, tacos, sloppy joes and meatloaf. It’s better for you and cheaper too. The only problem is ground turkey can be very bland and needs to be spiced up.
I usually just dump a bunch of dried herbs and spices in with my ground turkey and other ingredients for whatever I’m making. But I had some fresh herbs I was growing now. One thought led to another, so I threw together a meatloaf using barbeque sauce instead of ketchup, red onion, red bell pepper and canned kernel corn. And some of my fresh herbs. This Southwestern Style Meatloaf is delicious!
Tasty And Easy Southwestern Style Meatloaf RecipePrint Recipe
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 slices of toast crumbled
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup chopped red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 3/4 cup corn kernels
- a few sprigs of fresh herbs (cilantro, parsley, etc.)
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
2. Mix together the first 3 ingredients. Add the other ingredients and mix well. Pour into a loaf pan and bake covered with aluminum for 45 minutes. Remove and drain off any grease. Put inside in the oven again for about 10 more minutes without the aluminum foil.