This recipe for Savoury Turkey, Sweet Potato and Kale Enchiladas may be one of the most complicated recipes I’ve posted yet, but it’s well worth the effort. Inspired by something my friend made once and Thanksgiving leftovers, it’s become a year-round Fart Castle favourite. It’s often made my request. It also usually makes a bunch of leftovers, which freeze well.
Alternately, sometimes I dismantle a roaster chicken from the grocery store for this, but since you all don’t wanna see that, I used turkey mince for this. If you use a roaster chicken, you can skip that whole meat cooking step.
Savoury Turkey, Sweet Potato and Kale Enchiladas
These savoury turkey, sweet potato and kale enchiladas are a game changer. These snacks taste so good as all ingredients unexpectedly complement each other. Here's the recipe you must try now.
- 1 pound ground turkey (minced turkey)
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic - minced
- ½ teaspoon chili powder (chilli powder in British English)
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes - crushed
- 6 mini red pepper (red capsicum)
- 3 medium sweet potato
- ½ medium yellow onion
- 1 bunch kale
- ½ medium lime juice - juiced
- 10 medium flour tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit, and put about 6 cups of water in a saucepan to boil. Mix olive oil, garlic, chilli powder, cayenne, cumin, red pepper flakes and lime juice in a small bowl. Brush onto turkey and place on a foiled cookie sheet.
- Cut sweet potatoes into small cubes. Boil in a stockpot for 25 to 30 minutes. Bake turkey for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Slice onions and peppers into thin strips. Toss onions in a pan over high heat. Once they start to turn translucent, add the peppers. Cook until you get a few blackened bits. Toss in 2 tablespoons of water and the whole bunch of kale. Cover with lid and let sit over low heat for about 5 minutes. Using tongs, toss the kale, onion and pepper mixture until kale is thoroughly wilted. Turn off the heat and leave covered until the potatoes and turkey are ready. Keep the oven on.
- When everything is ready, mash the potatoes, unfoil the turkey, and toss it all in a big bowl with the veggies, mixing it all up.
- Take a 2-quart baking dish and cover the bottom with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and ¼ cup of enchilada sauce. Put about ¼ to ½ cup of the filling in the tortilla, roll it up, and place it into the baking dish.
- Continue until the dish is full. Top with remaining enchilada sauce and cheese. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes uncovered until cheese is melted and browned on top.
Calories: 955kcalCarbohydrates: 85gProtein: 47gFat: 48gSaturated Fat: 18gPolyunsaturated Fat: 7gMonounsaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 0.1gCholesterol: 137mgSodium: 1886mgPotassium: 1131mgFiber: 11gSugar: 17gVitamin A: 28784IUVitamin C: 43mgCalcium: 695mgIron: 7mg
Have you tried this recipe?Please leave a rating and comment.