Despite what you might think, poblano peppers are very mild, but they can still spice up a weekday dinner! Use this stuffed poblano peppers recipe to make guests or your family think you are a boss in the kitchen. Surely, they will ask you for the recipe.
Healthy Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- 4 large poblano pepper
- 5 ounces ground turkey (minced turkey) - 99% lean
- 2 ounces yellow onion - chopped
- 1 can tomatoes - drained and diced
- 80 grams corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ cup cilantro - chopped
- 28 grams mozzarella cheese - low-fat
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 3 tablespoons vegetable stock (vegetable broth or vegetable bouillon)
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- 1 dash garlic powder
- 1 dash chili powder (chilli powder in British English)
- 1 dash taco seasoning
- 1 dash paprika
- 1 dash cumin
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Wash your poblano peppers and cut them in half to open them up. I like to place them with the widest stem end flat down on my cutting board and then cut straight down starting from the narrow end. Remove seeds and stem.
- On a baking sheet lined with aluminium foil, sprayed lightly with pam, place all your pepper halves open side facing up on your sheet. To ensure they don’t overlap, you may need two sheets. Place in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes. You want them to soften a bit, but not so much so that they loose their shape, so keep an eye on them. Set aside.
- Next, prep your filling. Saute the onions in a pot sprayed with pam. Once soft, turn the heat down to medium, add in your broth, ground turkey, and chilli powder. Cook thoroughly.
- After your meat is cooked, add in your frozen riced cauliflower (uncooked), canned tomatoes, lime juice, chopped cilantro, tomato sauce, corn kernels, salsa verde, and seasoning blend. Mix over medium heat until the riced cauliflower is warm.
- Next is the fun part. Take a spoon, start stuffing your poblano peppers. Some of the “deeper” peppers will need more filling than the “shallow” ones.
- Once stuffed, place in the oven for about 8 to 10 minutes. Take them out, top with your cheese, then bake for another 2 to 3 minutes. Plate and enjoy!