Healthy Chicken And Pumpkin Lasagna. The farmer’s market is full of fabulous fall vegetables and fruit: pumpkins, kale, turnips, pears, and butternut squash. We also have the last remaining tomatoes and peppers as well. I decided to make Chicken And Pumpkin Lasagna for some of my friends and their kids. There’s a spaghetti squash lasagna on this website, and it was wonderful. This recipe is loosely based on that.
A million kids to feed?!?! What to cook?? Put this Chicken And Pumpkin Lasagna on their plates. You won’t be fighting for them to finish their meal like most of us do every night…pain!!!
If you think your friends and family are not keen on lasagna or they simply haven’t tried it yet, then I can assure you this Chicken And Pumpkin Lasagna is a great recipe to start with. This will feed about 8 adults; if you have any leftovers (which I’m sure you won’t!), freeze it.
Healthy Chicken And Pumpkin Lasagna
- 4 tablespoons olive oil - to grease
- 500 grams pumpkin
- 500 grams ground chicken (minced chicken)
- 150 grams bacon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large red onion - sliced
- 2 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 8 medium sun-dried tomatoes - optional
- 750 grams passata or crushed tomatoes (tomato puree with seeds removed)
- 100 grams baby spinach - chopped
- 220 grams ricotta cheese
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 packet lasagna sheets
- 1½ cups mozzarella cheese - grated
- Grease a large baking dish with oil.
- Steam or boil the pumpkin, drain and then mash it with salt and pepper and leave it to cool. You can also bake the pumpkin.
- Heat a small amount of olive oil in a large, deep fry pan, and add the onions. Cook till they are soft, then add the garlic and further cook but make sure the garlic does not burn.
- Add chicken mince and bacon to the pan and cook till the liquid is absorbed and well browned.
- Add sundried tomatoes, tomato passata and spinach to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Let it simmer for 1-2 minutes or until the spinach has wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Combine ricotta, parmesan and pumpkin in a separate bowl.
- Add about ½ a cup of the tomato sauce to your baking dish.
- Place the lasagna sheets in a single layer over the sauce and top with minced chicken, followed by pumpkin mash and another layer of lasagna sheets. Keep alternating the 3 layers till the ingredients are finished.
- In a preheated oven of 180°F, bake for 20-30 minutes.