I grew up eating this Goulash with Ground Beef, and I know lots of former kids ate this all the time! This dish bears no resemblance to authentic Hungarian Goulash. In the Midwest, it’s often called Johnny Marzetti, and in New England, it’s known as American Chop Suey. Everyone in out family liked it, and so did I.
Recipe For Goulash With Ground Beef | Easy Ground Beef Dinner
Everyone in out family liked this Goulash with Ground Beef, and so did I. This dish bears no resemblance to authentic Hungarian Goulash.
- 1 pound ground beef (minced beef)
- 6 ounces macaroni - or small pasta shape of choice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion - chopped, diced, or minced
- ½ pound mushrooms - sliced or minced
- 1 clove garlic - minced
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour (plain flour Australia and UK)
- 8 ounces ketchup (tomato sauce Australia and UK)
- ¼ cup red wine
- 1 cup beef stock (beef broth or beef bouillon)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper - freshly ground
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Meanwhile, start the water boiling to cook macaroni or another small pasta shape. Cook according to package instructions or until al dente.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Then add onions, garlic, and mushrooms. Cook for about 5 minutes until the onion is getting soft. Then, add ground beef, and brown it well.
- In a 4 cup measuring cup, mix flour, tomato sauce, red wine, beef bouillon, and black pepper.
- Remove the browned ground beef from the heat and stir in flour, tomato sauce, wine, bouillon, and pepper.
- Put half of the cooked macaroni (about 1 cup) into a 2-quart casserole and pour on 1/2 of the meat mixture. Add remaining macaroni, a thin layer of Parmesan cheese, and the remaining meat. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, and bake uncovered at 350°F for 30 minutes.
The grownups sprinkled Aleppo Pepper on their servings to jazz things up a bit, although I wouldn’t say this was bland at all; it had a well-rounded flavor thanks to the wine, mushrooms, and beef bouillon. I made a chopped salad to go with it.
Calories: 519kcalCarbohydrates: 29gProtein: 28gFat: 31gSaturated Fat: 9gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 898mgPotassium: 822mgFiber: 2gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 247IUVitamin C: 7mgCalcium: 103mgIron: 4mg
Have you tried this recipe?Please leave a rating and comment.