Grab a big spoon and dig into this hearty bowl of homemade Savoury Turkey, Sausage and Butternut Squash Chili Recipe. This consists of turkey, spicy chicken sausage, chunks of butternut squash, kidney beans, onion, garlic, and chili spices! Top with cheese, plain greek yogurt and green onions; this is heaven!
When I created this butternut squash chili recipe, I knew the basics of what goes in chili and specific amounts of what. So I decided to use ground turkey and spicy chicken sausage. But really, you can use any meat. Don’t skimp on sausage, though; it adds tons of flavour!
Butternut squash is fabulous in chili. It brings sweetness to the dish and complements the spicy flavours.
Savoury Turkey, Sausage and Butternut Squash Chili Recipe
- 2 cups butternut squash - diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey (minced turkey)
- 1 pound sausages - without casing (I used spicy chicken sausage)
- 1 medium yellow onion - chopped
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 15 ounces tomato - diced
- 30 ounces fire-roasted tomatoes - diced
- 15 ounces tomato paste
- 15 ounces red kidney beans - drained
- 1 ½ cup water
- ¼ cup chili powder (chilli powder in British English)
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 5 stalks green onions (scallions or green shallots) - diced
- 1 cup Greek yogurt - plain
- First, prepare butternut squash. Wash, peel and scoop out the seeds-dice 2 cups worth. In a large skillet, put olive oil and squash. Cook over low-medium heat until tender (it doesn’t have to be completely cooked through.)
- Dice onion and mince garlic. Put in a large pot with ground turkey and sausage. Cook on medium-high until meat is cooked thoroughly (for about 15 minutes.)
- At this time, add all of the tomatoes, paste, beans, and water cans. Stir. Next, add all spices and mix well. Add butternut squash. Taste until you reach the desired amount of spices and heat.
- Cook chili for at least 1 hour on simmer. Serve with shredded cheddar cheese, diced green onion and greek yogurt.