This is one of my new favorite weeknight ground turkey recipes. This Spinach and Feta Turkey Burgers recipe is quick to throw together and fast to cook on the grill. Plus, we are getting closer (even though it’s still snowing in some places) to WARM spring weather! This means grilling season is upon us! These Spinach and Feta Turkey Burgers are easy to serve on a whole wheat bun, or even over a bed of mixed greens with tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion…yum!
Start by combining all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Next, form into five patties. Cook on each side for 8-10 minutes each. I actually flipped mine 2-3 times during the process. Be sure to check the internal temperature of the Spinach and Feta Turkey Burgers and make sure they hit the 165°F mark. Once the burgers are done, top the bun or burger with some of the yummy dill-yogurt sauce.
Now, let’s talk about the dill-yogurt sauce. This is an attempted spin on tzatziki, the Greek dill cucumber sauce. However, I find tzatziki to be a bit more time consuming since you have to shred up the cucumber. So, by all means, if you want that extra flavor, grate ~1/4 of a cucumber into this sauce. The other difference between this sauce and tzatziki is that I included a little extra feta in my sauce. Because, cheese. That’s all. Enjoy!
Fast and Easy Spinach and Feta Turkey Burgers
TO MAKE THE TURKEY BURGERS
- 1 pound ground turkey (minced turkey) - 93% lean
- ¾ cup breadcrumbs - unseasoned
- 1 medium egg - or 1/4 cup egg white or egg substitute
- 5 ounces spinach - frozen, thawed and excess liquid drained, chopped
- ½ cup feta cheese - crumbled
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 dash salt - to taste
- 1 dash ground black pepper - to taste
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes - crushed. This is optional if spice desired
TO MAKE THE FETA GREEK YOGURT SAUCE:
- ½ cup Greek yogurt - plain non-fat
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon feta cheese - crumbled
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried dill - or 1 tablespoon fresh chopped dill
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine ground turkey, breadcrumbs, egg, spinach, feta, onion powder, garlic powder, crushed red pepper flakes (optional), and salt and pepper.
- Spray outdoor grill or stovetop grill pan with non-stick cooking spray. Bring to medium-high heat. Place burgers on the grill and cook for 8-10 minutes on each side. Grill until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- While burgers are cooking, prepare the dill-yogurt sauce by combining all ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
- Once burgers are done, top burger or bun with 1-2 tablespoons of dill-yogurt sauce.