I have to give it to home cooks who can easily pull together a sit-down dinner meal challenge. Although, I admit I always go for recipes with fewer ingredients and easy prep steps to minimize the stress of cooking a meal. And this Taco Stuffed Peppers is just about that.
Taco Stuffed PeppersPrint Recipe
- 4 bell peppers (assorted colours), halved
- 1 pound of ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 whole red onion, diced
- 1 1-oz. packet of taco seasoning equivalent to 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of sweet corn drained
- 1 can of Rotel tomatoes with green chilies, drained
- 2 cups of shredded Mexican cheese blend
- some green chili sauce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash and dry the peppers and slice them in half. Remove the seeds and stems. Place them (hollow side up) on a lightly sprayed baking sheet—Bake for 10 minutes. Remove any excess water that remains in the middle of the peppers.
- Meanwhile, brown the ground beef or turkey in a large pan over medium-high heat. Drain any fat.
- Throw in the diced onions and cook for 5 minutes. Add the taco seasoning, tomato paste, and garlic and cook for another 1 minute.
- Add 3/4 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Add the black beans, corn and tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes. Allow to cool a bit and add 1/2 cup of the cheese blend, and mix.
- Scoop the taco filling inside each of the baked peppers.
- Top each with the leftover cheese. Bake at 350° for about 5 minutes or until the cheese melts. I like to add green chili sauce before putting the cheese on top to melt, but this is optional. Enjoy!