I based this Sweet Chicken Lasagna recipe on a Garlic Chicken Butternut Squash Lasagna I saw online. I had to adjust a few things because I wanted to use chicken mince and sweet potato. So I upped the sauce ingredients to accommodate my mince. If you need to, please make more of the sauce if you want a saucy lasagna. The only thing is that it might make it a bit more sloppy.
Sweet Chicken LasagnaPrint Recipe
- 1 large sweet potato or 2 small to medium sweet potatoes
- 1 large bulb of garlic
- 1/2 brown onion diced
- 1 kilogram of organic chicken mince or minced chicken breast in your food processor
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk
- 1/3 cup of tomato paste
- 2 teaspoon of dried basil
- 2 teaspoons of dried parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- Cut one end off the bulb of garlic, then wrap it in aluminum foil. Place the wrapped bulb in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes. The smell of roasted garlic is divine! They should make air fresheners with this scent.
- Meanwhile, peel your sweet potato and chop off the pointy ends. Then cut it in half width ways.
- Now to make the sweet potato “pasta sheets,” you can either use a mandolin to slice it thinly, or you can do what I did and use a sharp knife. You want the sheets to be about 5-ish millimetres thick. Just be careful.
- Once you have done that, set them aside and start cooking your chicken mince.
- Heat your olive oil in a frypan on medium heat and add the onion. Sauté until it becomes transparent and add the chicken and a pinch of salt. Turn the heat down low and let the mince cook slowly.
- The garlic bulb should be about finished roasting, removing it from the oven and the foil. Make sure you have some heat protection on your hands to squeeze the bulb so that the cloves just come out. Squeeze it into your food processor and add the olive oil. Pulse until combined.
- Then add the coconut milk, tomato paste and dried herbs. Pulse until well combined.
- Season the sauce with some salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the chicken from heat; it doesn’t matter if it’s not all cooked because it’s going in the oven.
- To start the layers, get a small to a medium baking dish (i use a pyrex one), smear a thin layer of the sauce on the bottom of the dish. Then get some of the sweet potato sheets, lay them down in the dish, and add a layer of chicken and sauce. Repeat. The last layer should be of sweet potato sheets covered in sauce on top.
- Place the lasagna in the oven and bake for 45 minutes or until the top browns a little. Once out of the range, let it sit and set for about an hour. It will help when you go to serve it up.
- Serve with a side green salad.