I found a simple recipe for Korean bibimbap and improvised it a little for home-cooking. Bibimbap is a traditional Korean mixed rice dish where different ingredients are topped on steamed rice and mixed well with gochujang (red pepper paste) before eating. It is not only delicious, but it is also healthy and easy to cook from your kitchen as well.
Healthy Korean BibimbapPrint Recipe
- 3 tablespoons of cooking oil (for stir-frying of ingredients)
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil (for frying eggs)
- 200 grams of minced beef, thawed
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons of soy sauce
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 2 small carrots, cut into 2-inch strips
- 5 fresh shitake mushrooms, trimmed of caps and sliced
- 150 grams of bean sprouts, with tails trimmed
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups of steamed rice
- 3 teaspoons of Korean gochujang (red pepper paste)
- Water for blanching the bean sprouts and spinach
- Marinate the minced beef with soy sauce, sugar and sesame oil. Add a dash of salt. Blend well and leave it aside.
- While waiting for the beef to marinate, heat up 2 tablespoons of oil in a non-stick pan or wok and fry the eggs, sunny-side up. Preferably with the egg yolk still slightly runny.
- Heat some water in a saucepan. When it is boiling, put in the bean sprouts. Take them out with a strainer when they are cooked. Add a drop of oil and a pinch of salt to the water. Put in the spinach next. Drain both cooked vegetables of excess water and set them aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of cooking oil. Stir-fry the carrot strips until tender. Remove from heat and place it in a bowl.
- Next, put in half of the minced garlic, let it brown and put in the shitake mushrooms. Add a dash of salt. Stir-fry till they are cooked. Remove them from the heat, too and set them aside in another bowl.
- Now, most of the ingredients are ready. Look at the colours! Heat the remaining cooking oil. Add in the rest of the minced garlic. When it is starting to brown, put in the marinated minced beef and stir-fry till tender.
- Fill a serving bowl with a cup of steamed rice and place one fried egg in the centre. Place equal amounts of the cooked spinach, bean sprouts, carrot, mushroom, and minced beef around the egg. Top with a teaspoon of gochujang paste (or more if you like it spicier!)
- Repeat Step 6 for each serving. Remember to mix all the ingredients before eating.