Lasagna is one of my favorite good ‘ol fashioned comfort foods. But let’s face it–making it takes a lot of work, and I don’t have time for that! Plus, I am always looking for a healthier version of my favorite foods! This Easy Healthy Lasagna Soup definitely hits the spot and is a great crowd-pleaser!
Easy Healthy Lasagna SoupPrint Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 4 tablespoons dried chopped onion (rehydrated in a bowl of water), or 1 onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 3 small, sweet tri-color peppers (one of each color, optional)
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Better Than Boullion chicken base
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups Tomato and Basil Pasta Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 4 lasagna noodles, broken into bite-sized pieces (I use whole wheat)
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
1. Drizzle olive oil in a large soup pot and heat to medium-high.
2. Add ground turkey, onion, garlic, celery and peppers to the pan and cook until meat is browned and vegetables are tender.
3. Add water, chicken base, tomatoes, pasta sauce, Italian seasoning and salt to the pot and bring to a boil.
4. Simmer for 15-20 mins until flavors have mixed and soup is heated through.
5. While simmering soup, bring a separate pot of water to a boil and add broken lasagna noodles.
6. Cook until al dente, rinse with cool water, and set aside.
7. Just before serving, add lasagna noodles and stir in cheese.
8. Serve in bowls with additional shredded cheese for garnish.
9. To cook in the crockpot, cook meat and vegetables as instructed, then add to the crockpot.
10. Add water, chicken base, tomatoes, sauce, and seasonings to the crockpot.
11. Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours.
12. Cook lasagna noodles separately, as instructed above.
13. About 10 minutes prior to serving, add noodles and cheese.