I found this recipe for Asian-style turkey lettuce wraps about two years ago and fell in love with it. I like it because it’s easy to make and serve family style, so everyone digs in. It’s a fun meal. In the original recipe, they use ground pork (which I usually use as well), but tonight I had some lean ground turkey meat in the fridge, so I’m using that instead.
In my version of these Asian-style turkey lettuce wraps, I also add extra vegetables (mixed bell peppers and celery) for added nutrition. You can add whatever you like! (zucchini, mushrooms, bean sprouts, etc.). I want to keep the dish nice and saucy, so I don’t want to add too many extra veggies.
Instead, I will be sautéing onion, mushrooms, broccoli, red pepper and sprouts with garlic, ginger, lime and cilantro to serve alongside the turkey lettuce wraps. Whatever vegetables I have left over, I’ll have them for lunch tomorrow.
If the kids don’t want to eat out of lettuce cups, serve theirs with whole wheat tortillas! Small ones work great but if you only have the large ones, just cut them in half!
Crumbly Asian-Style Turkey Lettuce Wraps
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup white onion - chopped
- ½ cup carrots - chopped
- ½ cup celery - chopped
- ½ cup green pepper (green capsicum)
- 1 tablespoon garlic - minced
- 1 pound ground turkey (minced turkey)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon chili sauce (chilli sauce in British English) - Asian
- ½ teaspoon corn starch
- ⅓ cup green onions (scallions or green shallots) - chopped
- 1 head iceberg lettuce - bottom and bitter parts cut off and leaves separated
- ½ cup peanuts - roughly chopped
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots and celery and peppers if using.
- Sauté the onion and carrot for 3 minutes or until they begin to soften. Add ginger and garlic; saute for 30 seconds longer or until fragrant. Turn heat to high, and add turkey (or pork or a mixture of both!). Cook, stirring, for 4 minutes or until pork is cooked through.
- Whisk together fish sauce, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, Asian chili sauce and cornstarch, and add to the pan, stirring to coat the pork. Cook for 1 minute or until sauce has come to a boil and juices from the pan is slightly thickened. Sprinkle with green onions.
- Serve pork/turkey on a platter/in a bowl for each person to spoon into lettuce leaves (or tortillas). Put nuts in the side dish for each person to add to their wrap if desired.