Even though hot days are still lingering around these parts, the nights are becoming more relaxed, and I’ve definitely been feeling a bit of fall in the air! So I decided to give in to the impending cool weather and break out my crock pot for some good old-fashioned, hearty, healthy chicken and turkey chili. This stuff is packed with protein, healthy carbs, and tons of flavour. Enjoy with a dollop of non-fat Greek yogurt, your favourite cheese, or sliced avocado.
This chicken and turkey chili is perfect for serving on its own or as a side dish. It is such an easy recipe that no one can resist. After all, who doesn’t like a warm serving of chili? Everyone does!
Aromatic Chicken and Turkey Chili Recipe
- 20 ounces ground chicken lean
- 20 ounces ground turkey extra lean
- 2 large green bell peppers chopped
- 1 large sweet red onion chopped
- 4 cups mushrooms sliced
- 2 cans tomatoes diced
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can black beans low-sodium, rinsed
- 1 can kidney beans low-sodium, rinsed
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 1 pinch cumin
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 pinch onion powder
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 pinch Italian seasoning
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 2 tablespoons chives chopped
- 2 tablespoons cheese shredded
- Plug in your crockpot and set it to low. Using a large non-stick skillet, sautee mushrooms, onions and bell peppers over medium heat until soft and fragrant. You won’t need to add oil since the mushrooms are high in water content.
- Remove mixture from heat, and add to your crockpot. Using the same skillet, add ground turkey, chicken and minced garlic.
- Cook over medium heat until meat is lightly browned. Add mixture to crock pot. Add rinsed beans, chopped herbs, tomatoes with the liquid from the can, and all seasoning to the crockpot and mix well. Close the lid to the crockpot and leave cooking on low for 4 hours.
- Add more seasoning if desired, and serve warm with your favourite healthy garnish! I like to add avocado and non-fat Greek yogurt to mine.