This ground pork with diced tomatoes recipe is simple yet delicious. The aromatic combination of a few spices like onions, bell pepper, garlic, and cumin add flavour to the meat.
Sofrito – Ground Pork with Diced Tomatoes
In my home country, Cuba, we call this combination “sofrito.” However, in Cuba, instead of using bell peppers, many people use “aji cachucha,” which is smaller and sweeter.
Ground Pork with Diced TomatoesPrint Recipe
- 1-2 pounds of ground pork
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped (If the onion is small, use it all)
- 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon of cumin powder
- 1 (398 ml) can of diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- Add olive oil to the skillet. Heat over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and bell pepper and stir to combine. Cook them until fragrant, for about 3 minutes.
- Now, add the garlic and combine it with the onion and bell pepper. Cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the ground pork to the skillet and break it into small pieces with a spatula, combining it with the aromatic spices. Cook until all meat pieces are brown.
- Add the diced tomatoes with the liquid once the meat has cooked. Add salt, tomato paste, and cumin to the skillet. Stir everything to combine.
- Turn the heat low and let it cook for about 5-8 minutes.
- Once it is finished cooking, serve with rice and beans or any other side dish of your choice. Enjoy.