Today I prepared another mushroom bread bowl soup for my family. We had a bread bowl soup back in LA a couple of weeks back and enjoyed it. Bread bowl soup is an excellent concept in general. I hope you share your version of the soup.
I love ordering bread bowls, so preparing this at home is a very satisfying activity for me. I think they are best served in restaurants; that’s unmatched. But when you get sudden cravings and you don’t have it available near you, the only option you have is to cook it yourself and here’s how I did it.
Savoury Mushroom Bread Bowl Soup Recipe
- ½ cup corn - sliced
- 15 ounces chicken stock (chicken broth or chicken bouillon)
- ½ small yellow onion - chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour (plain flour Australia and UK) - all-purpose
- ¼ cup heavy cream (also called thickened cream)
- 1 clove garlic - chopped
- ¼ teaspoon thyme - fresh or dried
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 2 ounces ground pork (minced pork)
- 2 medium bread - bowl
- Heat oil and butter in a pan in medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and onion and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Add ground pork and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add mushroom, salt and pepper. Cook until the mushrooms are brown.
- Once the mushrooms turn brown, add flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth and thyme. Reduce the stove to medium-low heat and cook until thickened for about 20 minutes.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the top of the bread.
- Remove the bread top, then hollow out the middle with a fork or your fingers, leaving a thick bread shell of about 1 inch.
- Add cream and bring to simmer.
- Divide soup between two bread bowls.
- Garnish with cheese or fresh thyme. Serve hot.