Today, we will feature cilantro in great abundance in the classic Vietnamese Banh Mi sandwich.
I don’t have much to say about banh mi sandwiches… except that these sandwiches rock. Pork meatballs slathered with sriracha mayo and stuffed in a French baguette with pickled vegetables, cilantro, and jalapeno… really, the flavor quotient just doesn’t get any better than this.
Unfortunately for me, banh mi’s are seldom seen in our location. Truth be told, I’ve only tried two Banh Mi Sandwich recipes made by different people. Once, when a friend brought a whole bunch of them back from their place and had us over for a banh mi sandwich dinner party (good times), and the other occasion was when a friend made these bahn mi pork meatballs as part of a meal swap. Now THAT was a good day! I was so enamored with her meatballs that I saved the recipe and have since made the meatballs a regular on our dinner table.
This recipe is a bit more involved than my usual recipe… you have to make a sauce, pickle vegetables, fry and bake meatballs, and then assemble it all… but, I promise you, these sandwiches are so delicious, the extra effort will be well worth it!
Easy Vietnamese Banh Mi SandwichPrint Recipe
- TO MAKE THE SAUCE:
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sriracha
- 1 green onion finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- TO MAKE THE MEATBALLS:
- 1 pound ground pork or chicken
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- TO MAKE THE PICKLED VEGETABLES:
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 2 cups grated daikon (or sliced cucumbers)
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- OTHER FIX-IN’S:
- 2 long baguettes, cut into 10-in long pieces
- Big bunches of cilantro
- Jalapeno chiles, thinly sliced (optional)
TO MAKE THE SAUCE:
1. Mix all the ingredients to make the sauce.
TO MAKE THE MEATBALLS:
1. Preheat the oven to 300°F.
2. Mix all the ingredients for the meatballs until well incorporated.
3. Form meat mixture into meatballs.
4. Coat a frying pan with oil and then fry each side of the meatballs until browned (about 2 minutes per side). Don’t worry about cooking all the way through because the meat will finish cooking in the oven.
5. Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes, until meatballs are thoroughly cooked.
TO MAKE THE PICKLED VEGETABLES:
1. Toss grated vegetables with salt and set them aside in the fridge for at least 15 minutes.
2. Mix sugar and vinegar until sugar is dissolved.
3. Pour out excess water from the vegetables and then toss the vegetables in the dressing and allow to marinate for at least an hour.
ASSEMBLING THE SANDWICHES:
1. Cut the baguettes lengthwise and spread both sides of the bread with the sauce
2. Stuff the sandwich with meatballs, a heaping spoonful of the pickled vegetables, several sprigs of cilantro and a couple of slices of jalapenos.
Smile and eat.