This Pappardelle Del Contadino is filled with flavourful sausage, chicken, mushrooms, spinach, and pepperoncini in tomato cream sauce. It is an excellent dish for weeknights or guests! Check out the very easy recipe you can prepare in minutes.
Flavourful Pappardelle del Contadino
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 links Italian sausage (American name for Pork Sausage with Fennel Seeds) - sliced into 1-inch rounds
- 2 small ground chicken (minced chicken)
- ½ cup sweet onion - diced
- 2 cloves garlic - roughly diced
- 2 medium Roma tomatoes - diced
- 2 cups baby spinach
- ¼ cup kalamata olives - sliced
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream (also called thickened cream) - whipping
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese - grated
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- Salt and pepper the chicken and set aside. Add sausage slices, and a tablespoon of olive oil to a large sauté or braising pan. Cook over medium-high heat until browned, turn and brown the other side, then add the chicken. Continue to cook, turning chicken and sausage occasionally.
- When the chicken has cooked through for about 6 minutes, remove all meat from the pan and add the mushrooms and onions. Cook mushrooms and onions until mushrooms begin to caramelize. Add garlic and cook for one more minute, be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the diced tomatoes, pepperoncini peppers, oregano and marinara sauce. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until the tomatoes soften.
- Add the whipping cream and the meat, stir well and let it simmer for about 5 minutes to allow the flavours to meld. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the olives and fresh spinach and simmer until spinach has wilted. Add the cooked Pappardelle pasta and toss well.
- Serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese.