When I was young, we had a family tradition of Taco Thursdays. We truly looked forward to it each week. We tried out new taco recipes each week, fish, ground beef, veggie, flank steak, but we always go back to our signature recipe of turkey tacos which is a staple in our house. For now, I want to share with you a recipe of traditional Chicken Koftas with cucumbers and yogurt or what we call “Mediterranean Tacos” in our house!
Delicious Mediterranean Tacos
- 1 ¼ pounds ground chicken - we used thighs
- ½ medium onion - diced small
- ⅓ cup parsley - chopped, use whatever herb you have if you don’t have it!
- 1 teaspoo salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ medium cucumber - diced small
- ½ cup Greek yogurt - plain, buy fat-free if you can
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium tomato - try and buy local! cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 package tortillas - whole wheat, you can use pitas if you want, but tortillas are a little less heavy, which is nice
- 1 block feta cheese - if you want!
- ½ cup mint - fresh mint leaves, if you don’t have them, just garnish with a different fresh herb
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, onion and parsley; season with salt and pepper. Using your hands, mix well until combined. Form mixture into small patties.
- In a medium bowl, toss cucumber and yogurt; season with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Cook patties until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Divide patties and tomatoes among the tortillas. Top with the cucumber-yogurt sauce, feta, and garnish with mint. Serve!
- This dish is amazingly healthy and unbelievably yummy! Greek yogurt is an amazing source of protein. I buy the fat-free, and we love it.
- Stay present while eating! Make dinner an event to enjoy with family. We really do look forward to Taco Thursdays each week. Enjoy!