With an endless stretch of cold days ahead of us, I’ll post lots of soup recipes, which is one of my all-time favourites. This lemon orzo soup recipe is light, lemony, and loaded with hearty meatballs, making it highly satisfying.
The meatballs make it a bit labour intensive, but working as a team makes the prep work relatively quick and easy if you have a cooking buddy. If one person takes charge of the meatballs while the other chops and cooks the veggies, this lemon orzo soup can be on the table in under 30 minutes. It makes about 4 servings and is just as delicious heated up for lunch the next day. Enjoy!
Tangy Lemon Orzo Soup Recipe
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon rosemary dried
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion chopped
- 4 medium carrots thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 64 ounces chicken broth
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¾ cup orzo pasta
- ½ cup Parmesan freshly grated
- 1 handful Parsley leaves flat-leaf
- Cook orzo in boiling water with salt for about 7 minutes. Strain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine the first 4 ingredients, 2 teaspoons lemon zest and 1/2 teaspoon rosemary, in a medium bowl. Shape into about 20 11/2-inch meatballs.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil at a time and brown meatballs in 2 batches. Cook about 3 to 4 minutes per batch, remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sauté onion, carrots, and garlic over medium-high heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in broth, lemon juice, remaining 2 teaspoons of zest, and 1/2 teaspoon of rosemary. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Add meatballs and orzo and reduce heat to medium, simmer, occasionally stirring about 7 to 9 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through. Sprinkle salt and pepper and top with cheese and parsley.