Braised tofu with minced chicken is easy to make yet so delicious with so few ingredients. This dish is quite a versatile and you can easily substitute ingredients based on your personal preference or ingredient availability. For instance, you can substitute minced chicken with minced beef or pork or even use bamboo shoots or mock meat for a vegan alternative.
Simple Braised Tofu with Minced ChickenPrint Recipe
- 400 grams extra firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white or black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil I use soya bean oil
- 5 cloves garlic
- 5 slices ginger
- 1 tablespoon abalone sauce or oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 100 milliliter water. Mix with cornstarch, adjust for the amount of sauce desired
- 1 bulb spring onions
- 100 grams ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon chicken stock
1. Drain the tofu of water and cut it into slices around 2 centimeters thick.
2. Dry the tofu, by wrapping the slices with paper towels or food-safe cloth. Alternatively, you can use an air fryer to dry the tofu slices (80°C for 10 minutes).
3. While waiting for the tofu to dry, slice ginger and garlic. Also, finely slice chicken fillets if not using minced chicken.
4. Once tofu slices are dried, season with salt and pepper.
5. Add oil to wok, and bring to medium-high heat.
6. Carefully slide tofu slices into the oil, 1 minute on each side, and remove to a clean plate when golden brown on each side.
7. Add ground chicken to wok at medium heat. Cook until browned, around 2 minutes.
8. Add ginger and garlic to browned chicken, mix for around 30 seconds.
9. Add soy sauce, abalone/oyster sauce, chicken stock.
10. Mix water and cornstarch and add to wok.
11. Add seared tofu back to the wok, and let simmer for 5 minutes on medium-low heat.
12. Chop spring onions and mix into the dish, or simply garnish.