There’s a quaint little deli cafe called Anna’s in the resort town of Whitianga, located in the Coromandel Islands north of Auckland, New Zealand. One of their daily menu items was this quiche made with leftover chicken piccata, portobello mushrooms, and Philadelphia cream cheese. I’ve tweaked the recipe just a bit with basil pesto and came up with my very own Chicken and Mushroom Quiche Recipe.
Anna’s was my favorite place to eat when I had a day off cooking. Another of my favorite quiches was a spinach quiche in phyllo dough with onion marmalade and gorgonzola cheese…too yummy! The Kiwis and Aussies may be a world down under, but they truly know how to cook in the best tradition of a Crown Colony and in their own right. Do enjoy this Chicken and Mushroom Quiche Recipe as a main-dish with a salad and glass of wine. You can use shredded or minced chicken.
Easy Chicken And Mushroom Quiche RecipePrint Recipe
- 1 unbaked pie crust
- 1 cup chicken sliced or shredded
- 1 Portobello mushroom, sliced thin
- 1/2 small onion, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto (homemade is best)
- 6 thin slices of cream cheese (use dental floss to slice)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- pinch of nutmeg
1. Place pie crust in a 9-inch springform cake pan with 2-inch sides. Blind bake for 12 minutes at 400° F.
2. Reduce oven to 375° F. Cool crust on a cake rack.
3. Sauté mushrooms in butter for 5 minutes, add onions and continue to cook until water dissipates.
4. Layer chicken over the bottom of the crust, spread mushrooms and onions over chicken, dot with basil pesto, and top with cream cheese slices.
5. Whisk eggs and half-and-half together with salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.
6. Pour batter over filling, sprinkle with a pinch of nutmeg.
7. Bake for 45-50 minutes until eggs are set. Cool 15 minutes before slicing.