One of my favourite dishes is baked chicken Parmesan. I try to experiment with at least one new recipe each week, and earlier this year, I stumbled upon a Baked Chicken Parmesan Meatball dish. I made it with a spinach orzo salad, and my husband devoured it. And I did too!
So I decided to take my swing at this parmesan meatball bake by making a few modifications. I love a little kick in my Italian dishes, so I don’t shy away from adding in some crushed red pepper flakes! And one of my favourite pasta sauces is Classico Spicy Red Pepper Sauce, which I use in this recipe.
Healthy Chicken Parmesan Meatball BakePrint Recipe
- 1 pound of ground chicken
- 1 egg or 1/4 cup of egg whites
- 3 garlic cloves or 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 tablespoon of dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup of unseasoned whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 2 cups of your favourite marinara sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 5 ounces chopped, frozen spinach thawed and drained
- 1 cup reduced-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking tray with parchment paper, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine ground chicken, egg, garlic, onion powder, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper flakes, whole wheat breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup of marinara sauce, grated Parmesan cheese, and spinach in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Using a cookie scoop or bare hands, form into 20 meatballs and place on a baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While meatballs are baking, spray a 9×13 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray and spread 3/4 cup of marinara sauce to the dish.
- Once the meatballs are done cooking, transfer to the baking dish. Top with the marinara sauce left and cheese.
- Bake for an additional 15 minutes or until cheese is golden brown. Serve warm.