I made a Mexican feast for dinner! This Festive Chicken Meatballs in Tomato Sauce recipe serves approximately five people; you could serve more or fewer people depending on how hungry you are. Although this seems like a lot of work, it only takes about 40 minutes to prep and cook, so I urge you to try it!
Festive Chicken Meatballs in Tomato SaucePrint Recipe
- Meatball Ingredients
- 500 grams of chicken mince
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 3 spring onions
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried red chilli
- 3/4 cup of wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 egg
- 1/2 a cup coriander
- Sauce Ingredients
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 brown onion
- 2 400-gram tins of crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1 cup shredded low-fat Colby cheese (or cheddar)
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Set a rice cooker with the uncooked rice, water and lime juice and cook. After the rice has cooked, stir through the coriander, and leave on ‘warm’ until ready to serve.
- In a large bowl, put all meatball ingredients and combine(making sure to dice the garlic, spring onion, coriander before adding and beat the egg well before adding).
- Mix all the ingredients through the chicken mince until well combined. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Roll the chicken mixture into even-sized balls and place on the baking paper; you should have roughly 24 small balls. Put the tray in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the meatballs are cooked.
- While the meatballs cook, start making the sauce. Heat a saucepan with some of your olive oil and add the 3 cloves of garlic and diced brown onion. Once the garlic and onion are lightly browned, add the crushed tomatoes and tomato paste and stir thoroughly. Cook the meatballs for 5 to 10 minutes, and then stir through the coriander.
- After 20 to 25 minutes, remove the meatballs from the oven, and add half of them to a casserole dish. Cover the meatballs with half of the tomato sauce. Place the remaining meatballs on top, and cover with the rest of the tomato sauce. Shake the casserole dish lightly to flatten everything. Top with the shredded cheese and bake uncovered in the oven for another 5 minutes until the cheese melts.