The inspiration for this Citrus Mango Grilled Chicken Tacos dish came from my time in Mexico City. People in Mexico immigrated from the Caribbean, and they made the most amazing grilled chicken! They would set up these huge grills in the middle of the streets, usually at busy intersections.
You could smell this chicken from a mile away, and you knew exactly what it was. The chicken was somewhat Mexican but with Caribbean influences. They used many of the same ingredients in my Citrus Mango Grilled Chicken Tacos!
If you are ever in Mexico City and see a huge black charcoal grill in the middle of the street, try that chicken! I promise you won’t regret it. But if Mexico City isn’t on your itinerary, just make my Citrus Mango Grilled Chicken Tacos! They are equally delicious!
Citrus Mango Grilled Chicken TacosPrint Recipe
- Chicken Ingredients
- 15 chicken tenderloins
- 10 small corn or flour tortillas
- Citrus-Mango Marinade Ingredients
- 1 ripe mango
- 1 8-ounce can of pineapple, chunks, tidbits, or crushed
- 1/4 cup of orange juice
- 1/4 cup of chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons of coconut aminos or low-sodium soy sauce
- Juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 bell pepper, any colour
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground mustard or 1 tablespoon of dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon of parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- Peel and cube the mango and add it to a large bowl. Whisk the mango for about 30 seconds. This will break down the mango and turn it into a chunky liquid.
- Remove the ribs and seeds from the bell pepper and slice them into strips.
- Add the pineapple and the juice, stir to combine all remaining Citrus-Mango marinade ingredients.
- Reserve 1/3 cup of the marinade and set aside.
- Add the chicken and coat with the marinade. Let it marinate for at least 20 minutes. You could leave it for up to 6 hours in the refrigerator. Any longer and it could break the chicken down and change the texture.
- Clean your grill, then heat to 450 to 500 degrees, which was medium-high on my grill. Brush the grates with oil to prevent sticking.
- Add the chicken to the grill and cook the first side for 4 to 5 minutes. Flip the chicken and brush the tops with 1/3 cup of the reserved marinade (make sure this marinade never touched the raw chicken). Grill the second side for another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers to the grill after the first time you flip the chicken. They will only take 5 or 6 minutes to cook.
- Remove the chicken and peppers to a plate and cover with tin foil, then a kitchen towel and allow to rest for about 10 minutes. Once it is done resting, mince the cooked chicken.
- While the chicken rests, brush both sides of your tortillas with olive oil. Add them to the grill and let them warm for about 20 to 30 seconds per side. Fill with chicken, grilled corn, sour cream and salsa!