A warming, classic chicken rice soup that will bring you back to childhood. This minced chicken recipe is a basic one that can be added to or modified depending on what you have on hand. Given we made chicken this past weekend, I made a big pot of chicken broth Monday morning for a Chicken Rice Soup. Lots of options with soups like this. Try swapping the rice with your favorite pasta or quinoa for a little extra protein. We often make this vegan by using vegetable broth.
Heartwarming Chicken Rice SoupPrint Recipe
- 4 quarts chicken broth (Homemade Chicken Broth)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- ½ cup rice, rinsed (or a cup of dry pasta)
- 2 sprig fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried thyme)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 2 cups minced cooked chicken
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons miso (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (optional)
1. Bring stock to a boil over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery, rice and thyme, then reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 30 minutes.
2. Add chicken and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
3. Ladle soup into 4 bowls. If using miso, stir in 1 tablespoon into each bowl and garnish with cilantro if using. Serve with sourdough, buns or a side salad.
To make it vegan, replace the chicken stock and chicken with vegetable broth and 1-2 cups cooked beans. Throw in a tablespoon of nutritional yeast for some extra vitamin Bs. Add in some chopped red pepper, bok choi, green beans or a little kale. See what you have on hand, want to use up and experiment to find your favorite mix.