This is without a doubt the best chicken quesadilla you will ever eat. It is so good you will swear it’s not good for you, but this fantastic twist to a Tex-Mex favourite will have your neighbours inviting themselves over for dinner. I guarantee that! The only problem you will have with this meal is portion control.
Best Chicken Quesadilla EverPrint Recipe
- 2 large chicken breasts, minced
- 1 small or 1/2 large 12-ounce can of diced tomatoes and green chillies (drained)
- A double handful of fresh or one 8-ounce jar sliced mushrooms
- 1 large and 1 medium sweet onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic minced, chopped or sliced
- Fresh spinach leaves
- Burrito shells plain or flavoured
- 1 packet of Zesty Herb seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Sliced black olives
- Fresh or canned jalapeno peppers, sliced
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of dried sweet basil
- Brown the ground chicken in a skillet with extra virgin olive oil. Once the chicken is thoroughly cooked, mix in Zesty Herd seasoning. Set aside.
- Saute onions, garlic and mushrooms in extra virgin olive oil. You want the onions to be limp but still a little crunchy. Drain, add salt and pepper to taste and add a generous amount of sweet basil. (don’t be shy). You will also want to mix in your drained can of tomato and green chillies at this point.
- Tip: caramelized onions taste great. If you would rather caramelize your onions, cook them first, then add them to your sauteed mushrooms and garlic.
- Warm the griddle to 350 degrees or set it on medium-high. Drizzle olive oil in the griddle. Throw the shell on the griddle and add a serving spoon full of the sauteed vegetables to one half the shell.
- Cover filling with a generous layer of spinach leaves and sprinkle with sliced olives. Add sliced jalapenos (optional), then add a layer of cooked chicken topped with your favourite shredded cheese. Then fold the remaining half of the shell over on top. Allow cooking until the shell is browned, then gently flip and brown another side.
- Serve immediately while still crunchy.