I adore these little baked spicy cabbage fritters. They come together quickly and go from cutting board, bowl to oven-safe skillet in 15 minutes. Of course, I adorn these with a healthy dose of Indian spices, but you can use whatever spice blend you like
These baked spicy cabbage fritters beg for a generous portion of vibrant, silky sauce to go along with them. I usually go for a makhani gravy or a pureed chimichurri.
As for substitutions, you can use all-purpose flour instead of chickpea and almond flour. The almond flour gives some nuttiness and extra body, but these still taste wonderful without it.
Baked Spicy Cabbage FrittersPrint Recipe
- Fritters Ingredients
- 1/2 cabbage head, shredded finely
- 1/4 cup of pre-cooked minced chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup of almond flour
- 1/4 cup of chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- A pinch of baking soda
- Spice Blend Ingredients
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon of garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger
- A pinch of cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon of paprika
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In your mixing bowl, massage the salt into the shredded cabbage for 2 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes, letting the salt draw out moisture.
- Add in the rest of your ingredients and mix thoroughly. If the mix is dry, add water one tablespoon at a time. The mixture’s consistency should be as thick as hummus or oatmeal to hold its shape.
- Roll the batter into loose little cakes or flattened out balls, and place on a well-greased oven-safe skillet. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the fritters are crispy and golden as you like.
- Serve with chimichurri or a buttery tomato sauce.