Anytime I can take a favourite dish and modify it to be healthy or at least ‘healthier’ than the original – I am on it! Traditionally, chimichangas are deep-fried – so the thought of making the same type of recipe and then baking them in the oven was an appealing alternative for me.
This is pretty quick and easy to cook if you have the chicken cooked ahead of time.
Baked Chicken ChimichangasPrint Recipe
- 2 tablespoons of picante salsa
- 2 cups of cooked ground chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup of chopped onion
- 1/4 cup of roasted red peppers
- 1/4 cup of frozen corn, thawed
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of Mexican Oregano
- 4 8-inch whole-wheat flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons of shredded, reduced-fat Mexican cheese
- Black olives for garnish
- Mix the first 7 ingredients together in a bowl.
- Equally divide mixture and spoon onto tortillas.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of cheese to each chimichanga.
- Fold edges in and roll tortilla to close, making rectangles.
- Lightly spray cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Put folded chimichanga seam side down on a baking sheet.
- Secure with toothpicks if they are coming apart – mine stayed together nicely; try not to overfill them.
- Lightly spray tops of chimichangas with cooking spray.
- Cook in the oven at 425 degrees for 8 minutes, turn and bake for 5 more minutes.
- Remove picks, add pineapple salsa and black olives for garnish.