This Amazing Zucchini Lasagna Recipe is another convenient dish you can prepare and store away in the fridge for several days.
Well, who doesn’t love lasagna? The cheese, pasta, layers of saucy meat! Gosh, I don’t know which layer is my favorite! But, I do know that traditional lasagna can pack on the pounds if you don’t carefully plan it into your day (being aware of the other meals and snack choices you make on that day).
That’s why I choose to prepare this Zucchini Lasagna Recipe, replacing the layers of pasta w/ slices of zucchini, saving calories and avoiding the added fat to my body.
Amazing Zucchini Lasagna RecipePrint Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef, turkey, or chicken (I used chicken)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 24 ounces tomato sauce (I used organic marinara)
- 2 tablespoons basil
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced ⅛-inch thick (use a potato peeler)
- 15 ounces ricotta
- 16 ounces mozzarella, shredded
- ¼ cup parmesan
- 1 large egg
- Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cook the ground meat in a large skillet over medium heat with the garlic, basil, salt and pepper. Once the pink goes away, add in the onion and cook until browned.
3. Add sauce to the cooked ground meat and simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile, combine ricotta, parmesan, 8 ounces mozzarella, and egg in a bowl and mix.
4. Arrange zucchini slices into the base of a baking dish. Layer with half of the meat sauce and cheese mixture. Repeat layering and top with the final layer of zucchini slices.
5. Sprinkle it with the remaining mozzarella. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, remove the foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
You can always mess with the amount of cheese. You don’t have to use all that the recipe calls for, especially if you are being mindful of your fat intake—for example, only one layer of the cheese. In any case, I can assure you will enjoy having this prepped in your fridge!