This Sweet and Savoury Pastel de Choclo is a very popular dish in Chile – possibly the national dish. Lots of different flavours go into the body of the casserole, and the whole thing is topped off with a thick layer of cooked or pureed corn. Traditionally, the pastel de choclo is baked in a large earthenware dish called a paila or in several smaller bowls for individual servings.
The meat filling for this recipe is called Pino and is also used to fill the famous Chilean empanadas. Pino is a rich, sweet, savoury mixture of beef, onions, spices, a slice of egg, olives, and a sprinkle of sultanas (raisins).
Sweet and Savoury Pastel de Choclo Recipe
- 3 large corn - grated
- 600 grams ground beef (minced beef)
- 2 chicken breast - boiled and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 4 medium yellow onion - chopped
- ½ cup black olives - chopped
- 3 hardboiled eggs - chopped
- ½ cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons basil - chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar (white sugar)
Corn Topping Instructions
- Heat the grated corn, chopped basil, salt and butter in a large pot. Add the milk little by little, constantly stirring until the mixture thickens.
- Cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Leave to one side while you prepare the meat filling.
Meat Filling Instructions
- Fry the onions in oil until transparent, add the ground meat and stir to brown. Season with salt, pepper and ground cumin.
- To prepare the pie, use an oven-proof dish you can take to the table. Spread over the bottom of the dish the onion-ground meat mixture. Arrange over this the hardboiled egg slices, olives and raisins. Put the chicken pieces on top (bone the chicken if you like). Cover the filling with the corn mixture. Sprinkle the icing (aka powdered or confectioners’) sugar over the top.
- Bake in a hot oven until the crust is golden brown. Serve at once at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 to 40 minutes.