This Classic Spicy Meatloaf is a baked or smoked ground beef dish that is mixed with other ingredients and shaped into a loaf form. The final shape is either hand-shaped on a flat pan or created by cooking it in a loaf pan.
The Best Classic Spicy MeatloafPrint Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup ketchup, divided
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 3/4 pound spicy ground pork sausage
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
2. Heat butter over medium heat in a big heavy skillet; cook and stir onion, green onions, celery, carrot, and garlic for about 5 minutes or until it is fragrant. Cover the skillet with a cover and cook for about 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally until the carrot is soft.
3. In a vegetable mixture, add 1/3 cup ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper; cook for about 1 minute until warm.
4. In a big bowl, combine ground beef, sausage, vegetable mixture, bread crumbs, parsley and eggs; form into a loaf and place in a 2-inch high sided rectangular baking pan. Cover the loaf with 1/3 cup ketchup remaining.
5. Bake in the preheated oven, about 1 hour until the center is no longer pink. A thermometer inserted in the middle for instant reading should read at least 160°F (70°C).