So I tried out the Quick and Easy Cottage Pie recipe originally found here, but I did not have everything in my pantry that this recipe called for, so I improvised.
Cottage Pie is the quintessential comfort food. Traditional Cottage Pie is made with beef or lamb and topped with cream and butter-laden potatoes. Cottage Pie can be far from a health-conscious meal. With this Quick and Easy Cottage Pie recipe, I set out to change that.
Here’s what I did. I will put the steps below, so you can give it a try!
Quick and Easy Cottage PiePrint Recipe
- FOR THE POTATO LAYER:
- 10-15 red potatoes (depending on the size of potato), chopped
- 1/2-3/4 cup whole milk (2% can be used here)
- 2 tablespoons salt-free butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- FOR THE MEAT MIXTURE:
- 2 pounds ground beef (can substitute turkey or ground chicken)
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 can onion and garlic diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheese (I chose Monterey jack cheese)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. For the potato layer, first, wash red potatoes thoroughly. Dice into 1/2 inch slices. Place in a pot, cover with water. Salt. Bring water and potatoes to a boil, cook until a fork slides easily into the potato, about 20 minutes.
3. Drain the water from the pot. Mash potatoes. Add butter and milk. Continue to mash until desired consistency. (I like tiny lumps, but the more smooth, the better). Cover and set aside.
4. In a large skillet, over medium to medium-high heat, add ground beef, onion, garlic salt, and pepper. Cook and crumble meat until brown and onions are slightly translucent. Drain grease.
5. Place drained meat mixture in skillet, sprinkle flour evenly over the meat mixture. Stir and cook for about 1 minute (a light gravy should form). Stir in diced tomatoes, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, and oregano. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in frozen peas, carrots and corn. Cook for another 10-15 minutes, or until heated through.
6. Lightly grease a 13×9 baking dish. (Try to use a dish with higher sides.
7. Pour the meat mixture into the prepared dish. Spread mashed potatoes evenly over the top. Top potatoes with shredded cheese.
8. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before eating.
Pretty easy huh! This was really good, and it made enough where we had enough for leftovers. Gotta love that! Give it a try and let me know what you think.