This delicious sausage rolls recipe will have your guest salivating with hunger as the aroma wafts thru the party. This recipe was passed down from my grandmother to my mother and from my mother to me. I have added a few chef touches, and we use frozen puff pastry for convenience. My grandmother used to make her own puff pastry when she made these sausage rolls.
Puffy Sausage Rolls RecipePrint Recipe
- 1 kilogram of sausage mince beef
- 10 grams of dried thyme
- 10 grams of cloves of garlic, crushed
- 50 grams of onion, very finely chopped
- 50 grams of carrot, grated
- 100 grams of bread crumbs
- 500-gram sheets of frozen puff pastry
- 30 ml of tomato sauce
- 10 ml of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg
- 50 ml of milk
- Add sausage mince, thyme, garlic, onion, carrot, 1/2 the milk, and breadcrumbs using a large mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly with your hands, wearing gloves.
- Weta bench and cover with a glad wrap, so it sticks. Shape the mixture in your hands, then roll out the mixture on glad wrap to form a large sausage 3/4-inch round. Cut pastry sheets in halve.
- Mix remaining egg and milk. Using your fingers tips or a pastry brush, rub the edge of the pastry with milk and egg wash. Fill with rolled sausage meat, and lay the mixture lengthways on each half sheet. Roll the pastry so that the edges overlap. Egg wash pastry. Remove plastic wrap.
- Each roll can be cut in 4 for smaller bite-size rolls. Bake the sausage rolls at 180 degrees Celsius on a baking paper-lined tray for approximately 35 minutes.