We recently celebrated my birthday in the kitchen by making good ol’ Puffy Meat Pie in a pie maker (a Christmas gift from my eldest daughter) and Slow Cooked Roast Lamb. Plus, we had the company of two young English men (who were painting the cedar cladding on the outside of our cabin and the side of our house) to appreciate our efforts.
Puffy Meat Pie RecipePrint Recipe
- 1 kilogram of minced beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons of beef stock or 1 teaspoon of vegemite
- 1/2 teaspoon of cloves
- 2 teaspoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce
- Pepper to taste
- 600 ml of water
- Approximately 3 tablespoons of gravox
- 6 frozen puff pastry sheets
- 6 frozen shortcrust pastry sheets
- Add all the ingredients above to a saucepan, except for the gravox and pastry sheets.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 40 minutes.
- Mix the gravox in a bit of water until you have a smooth paste, then pour into the meat mixture and occasionally stir as it thickens. It should only take a few minutes. Add more gravox using the same method if you think it needs it.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool a bit while you prepare the pastry sheets.
- Allow the sheets to thaw out; this generally only takes 5 to 10 minutes, and then start to either line your greased pie dishes with them or cut them ready for the pie maker.
- Lay the bottom pastry sheet cut to size, add the pie mixture (don’t overfill), lay the top pastry sheet, and cook.