This Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie is a healthy recipe for your favourite shepherd’s pie. It is loaded with several vegetables, so you know you’re getting healthy nutrients as you devour this delicious dish.
Lentil Mushroom and Sweet Potato Shepherd's PiePrint Recipe
- 5 medium potatoes
- 1 cup of lentils, washed and drained
- 3/4 cup of oats
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 cups of pre-cooked ground beef
- 1 pound of cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 big carrot, chopped
- 1 medium celery stalk, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup of low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup of dry purple wine
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce or tamari
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prick each potato with a fork and put them on a baking sheet. Roast until they are soft, for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Put aside to chill. In the meantime, cook the lentils.
- Add the lentils, beef, oats, bay leaf, salt, and 5 cups of water in a medium saucepan and let it boil, then reduce warmth.
- Simmer the lentils are delicate; however, now not smooth, sometimes stirring to keep the oats from sticking to the pot for about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and put the mixture into a colander.
- Whilst the lentils and oats are cooking, finely chop the mushrooms and put them aside. Chop the remaining mushrooms into quarters. Heat the olive oil in a pot over medium-high warmth until boiling.
- Add the quartered mushrooms and a pinch of salt and cook until browned and soft.
- Add the chopped mushrooms, onion, carrot, celery, and garlic and cook dinner, sometimes stirring, until onions are delicate and translucent. Reduce the heat to medium, then add your lentil and oat mixture; mix with the vegetable broth, wine, tomato paste, soy sauce, paprika, parsley, and a couple of grinds of black pepper. Simmer the mixture for 5 minutes. Add salt or right kind the seasonings as wanted.
- Set the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Peel potatoes and put the meat in a medium bowl. Use a fork to mash right into a clean paste. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour the lentil mixture right into a 9×13-inch baking dish. (For thicker layers, use a 9×9-inch pan.) Spoon the potato mixture and then bake until the filling is cooked on the edges for about 30 minutes.