Indian Rice Pilaf With Spicy Mince is a great recipe, but the real star of this dish is the rice. It’s one of those versatile recipes that you can build so many simple meals around.
If spicy mince isn’t your thing, try serving the rice with sliced tandoori chicken breast or a simple pumpkin and cauliflower curry. Yum!
Indian Rice Pilaf With Spicy MincePrint Recipe
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon of caraway seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground turmeric
- 1 cup of basmati rice
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 500 grams of beef mince
- 1½ teaspoon of curry powder
- 1/3 cup of sweet chilli sauce
- ¼ cup of water
- 4 green onions, sliced thinly
- 2/3 cup of frozen peas
- Coriander leaves, roughly chopped, to garnish
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium saucepan. Add onion, garlic, seeds and turmeric and cook until onion is soft. Add rice and stir over heat until rice is coated with oil. Add stock, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to very low. Cover and cook for 12 minutes.
- While rice is cooking, heat the remaining oil in a frying pan. Add mince and cook until browned. Add curry powder and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until fragrant. Stir in sweet chilli sauce, water, green onions and peas. Cook, occasionally stirring until peas are soft and heated through.
- During this time, keep an eye on the rice and once it has cooked for 12 minutes, remove from heat, keep the lid on and stand for another 5 minutes or until rice is tender.
- To serve, top pilaf with spiced mince and coriander leaves.