This Heavenly Beef Kofta With Tomato and Mint Quinoa Salad recipe is a recent dish I learned to perfect. It took several attempts to find the perfect combination of flavours I was looking for. I added the salad because they complement the koftas so well.
Heavenly Beef Kofta With Tomato and Mint Quinoa Salad
Beef Kofta Ingredients
- 500 grams ground beef (minced beef)
- ½ small yellow onion - finely chopped
- ½ clove garlic - crushed
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (coriander) - finely chopped
- 3 sprays rice bran oil
- ½ cup plain yogurt
Quinoa Salad Ingredients
- 1 cup quinoa
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 small red onion - finely chopped
- 2 medium tomato - seeded, chopped
- ¼ cup mint - finely chopped
- ¼ cup parsley - flat-leaf, chopped
- 50 grams baby spinach
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Place mince, onion, garlic and coriander in a large bowl. Mix well. Using 1/4 cup of the mixture at a time, divide the mixture into 12 portions. Roll each portion into 8 centimetre-long sausages.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Spray koftas with oil. Cook in batches, occasionally turning, for 8 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, make Tomato and mint salad: Combine quinoa and stock in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain excess liquid. Combine quinoa, onion, tomato, mint, parsley, spinach and lemon rind in a large bowl. Drizzle with oil and lemon juice. Season. Toss gently to combine.
- Combine yoghurt, chutney and 2 teaspoons of cold water in a bowl. Stir to combine. Serve koftas with salad and drizzle with yoghurt mixture.
- Slice a wholemeal pita bread and place on an oven tray, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Pop into a 180 degrees Celsius preheated oven for 5 minutes.