For a long time, Australian food had a great resemblance to British food, largely due to the fact that most Australian settlers were of British origin. Yet over time, Australian cuisine has taken on its own unique fusion of Mediterranean, British, and Asian flavors. This article features my favorite Traditional Australian Meat Pie Recipe that I’m sure you will enjoy!
Delightful Traditional Australian Meat Pie RecipePrint Recipe
- 1.5 pounds of ground beef
- 2 beef stock cubes
- 1 1/2 cups of water + an additional 1/4 cup
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A pinch of nutmeg
- 1 deep dish pie crust
- 12 ounces puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon water
1. Brown the meat in a skillet over low heat until it is thoroughly cooked. Drain off any remaining fat.
2. Crumble the beef cubes and add them along with 1 1/2 cups of water, pepper, salt, and nutmeg. Allow the meat mixture to boil, then reduce the heat. Cover, then simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Combine 1/4 cup of water with 2 tablespoons of flour and mix well. Add this to the meat, then stir until well combined.
4. Return the meat to the heat and stir until the mixture thickens. Add the soy sauce and stir well. Simmer (uncovered) for about 5 or 10 minutes, then remove from heat and allow it to cool before pouring into the pie shell.
5. Roll out the puff pastry onto a floured surface and cut the pastry to fit over the pie. Mix egg yolk and water together. Brush the mixture over the top of the pie, then bake at 400°F for about 5 minutes, or until the pie crust is golden brown. Reduce to 350°F and cook for an additional 10 minutes.