Delicious Baked Ziti. Do you have one of those friends who is such an amazing cook you want to have dinner at her house every night? That would be my friend, Katie. Some people come to birthday parties and family gatherings to hang out. I come for Katie’s food! She gets it from her mom, who is also an amazing cook.
One of these days, I’m going to raid their recipe boxes and share the treasures with all of you. In the meantime, you’ll have to settle for Katie’s version of Delicious Baked Ziti, which is kid-friendly, super easy and oh, so delicious. Did I mention it’s freezer friendly and feeds an army? What more could you ask for!?
The Delicious Baked Ziti recipe makes a very full 9×13 pan. I recommend making it in 2 8×8 pans and freezing one. It’s a great dish to have on hand in the freezer to thaw out and pop in the oven for a quick weeknight meal.
After trying this baked ziti recipe, you should go try my Easy Baked Ziti With Meat Sauce where I used penne pasta.
Delicious Baked Ziti
- 1 pound penne pasta - dry
- 1 small yellow onion - chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 pound ground beef (minced beef) - you could also use ½ pound ground beef and ½ pound Italian sausage for some extra kick
- 2 jars Marinara sauce (tomatoes, garlic, herbs, and onions – pasta sauce in southern hemisphere for Italian seafood dish) - 26 ounces each
- 6 ounces provolone cheese - slices
- 1 ½ cups sour cream
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese - shredded
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese - freshly grated
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add penne pasta and cook al dente (about 8 minutes). Drain.
- In a large skillet, brown onion, garlic and ground beef. Drain. Add spaghetti sauce to ground beef mixture and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Grease a 9×13-inch pan or 2 8×8-inch pans.
- Mix half of the penne pasta with 2 cups of sauce mix. Layer that in the bottom of the pan(s).
- Layer the following on top of the sauce/pasta mixture: provolone cheese slices, sour cream, half of the remaining sauce mix, remaining penne pasta, mozzarella cheese, remaining sauce mix, parmesan cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in a 350-degree oven for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 5 minutes longer or until the cheeses are melted. Enjoy!