These Crispy Beef Croquettes With Cheesy Potato Crust are delicious and have a surprising twist to them. They have a tasty, rich beef filling encased in a crispy, cheesy potato crust.
If time permits, place cooked mince on a shallow tray, cover with cling wrap and freeze until firm. This allows for easy assembly.
Crispy Beef Croquettes With Cheesy Potato CrustPrint Recipe
- 1 kilogram of potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 70 grams of butter
- 100 ml of milk
- 80 grams of mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- ½ cup of plain flour
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 large brown onion
- 600 grams of beef mince
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 tin of crushed tomatoes, mashed with a fork
- 2 cups of beef or chicken stock
- ¾ cup of frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons of gravy powder
- 1 egg for crumbing
- Panko breadcrumbs, for crumbing
- Oil for deep frying
- Cook potatoes in salted water until soft. Add butter, milk, cheese and egg. Mash well. Add flour and stir to combine. Set aside to cool completely.
- Heat olive oil in your frypan over medium/high heat. Add onion and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Add mince and garlic and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until mince is browned. Add Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, tomatoes and chicken stock. Cook the croquettes over medium heat for 40 to 50 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add peas and cook for another 5 minutes. Mix gravy powder with a small amount of water to make a paste. Stir the paste into the mince mixture, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the mixture is thickened. Remove from heat and place in the fridge to cool completely.
- To assemble, dust hands with flour. Using ¼ cup of the potato mixture at a time, flatten in the palm of your hand to make a disc. Place 2 to 3 tablespoons of minced mixture in the centre of the potato disc. Bring edge together around mince mixture and roll to enclose filling, forming a sausage shape. Repeat with remaining potato and meat mixture.
- Place breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Lightly beat egg in a bowl. Dip each croquette in egg, roll in breadcrumb mixture, and press firmly to coat. Place on a large baking tray. Cover. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- Deep fry the beef croquettes in hot oil for 4 to 5 minutes, or until golden brown.