Last night, I made dinner for my parents, and I decided to make spaghetti squash boats. They’re not 100% paleo because I put cheese on the top, but they are delicious and much healthier than regular spaghetti and meatballs! I paired them with lemony green beans, one of my favourite side dishes.
My parents really loved the meal, which was nice. I’m always a bit nervous about cooking for them because we have very different diets, and I’m never sure how going outside of the box will go with them. But luckily, they are really easy to please and are always up for trying new things.
It was exciting because they’d never seen spaghetti squash boats before, so they were really surprised when they tasted them.
Cheesy Meatball and Spaghetti Squash BoatsPrint Recipe
- Spaghetti Squash Boats Ingredients
- 2 spaghetti squash, cut in half, deseeded
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- About 16 ounces of spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup of finely shredded mozzarella
- 1 pound of meatballs
- Meatball Ingredients
- 1 pound of 90/10 ground beef
- 1/4 cup of almond flour
- 1 egg
- Italian seasoning blend (about 2 teaspoons)
- I combined the following ingredients for the meatballs, formed them into balls, and baked them at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, sprinkle spaghetti squash with olive oil, salt and pepper, and place cut side down in baking dish. Then put the spaghetti squash boats in the oven for 40 minutes while you prepare and bake the meatballs.
- Increase the temperature to 400 degrees, remove the spaghetti squash from the oven and fluff with a fork to separate the spaghetti strands.
- Place 2 meatballs in each boat, cover with mozzarella and put back in the oven for about 10 minutes or until the sauce is warm and the cheese is lovely and melted.