The Basic Meatloaf is one of those comfort foods that never goes out of fashion. When it’s made at home with grass-fed ground beef, it is also a very nutritious meal. Kids love it, adults love it, dogs love it (at least our one did!), so you really can’t go wrong with serving a basic meatloaf. And there’s nothing quite like meatloaf leftovers the next day!
Meatloaf can be jazzed up in any number of ways – bacon strips on top, breadcrumbs mixed in, or mustard and/or ketchup for added flavor. But I’m keeping this one simple – it’s Gut And Psychology Syndrome (GAPS)-friendly and Paleo-friendly. But feel free to jazz it up if you wish.
A Basic Meatloaf recipe is also a great way to sneak in organ meats – add some finely chopped or pureed liver or heart, and you’ve boosted the nutritional value without affecting the taste! Your family will never know.
Basic Meatloaf | Easy Recipe
TO MAKE THE MEATLOAF:
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ pound ground pork replace with ground beef if you don’t eat pork
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ¼ teaspoons sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- 2-3 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional, for a bit of spice
- 1 medium egg
TO MAKE THE SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons filtered water
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce about ½ teaspoon – omit for GAPS
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Mix all meatloaf ingredients in a large bowl.
- Transfer the meatloaf mixture into a greased loaf pan.
- Mix the sauce ingredients in a small bowl or measuring cup and coat the top of the loaf with the sauce.
- Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes (until center reaches 170°F). The meatloaf will have pulled away from the sides of the pan.
- Allow it to sit for a few minutes before cutting and serving. Meatloaf ready to serve!