Basic Light Beef And Broccoli Meatballs. Do your kids eat their veggies? Most kids, when they see something green, they automatically do not like it! So I was looking for some new dinner options and one-pot meals. The Beef And Broccoli Meatballs came to the rescue!! I love the flavor of this ground beef recipe, and the kids ate it!! Win-Win! Doesn’t this Beef And Broccoli Meatballs look delicious?
To start, grate ginger into a small batter bowl using an adjustable fine grater or zester to get about 1-2 teaspoons. I happened to use a little less since I do not like too much ginger. Add soy sauce, brown sugar, and garlic pressed with a garlic press. Transfer 2 tablespoons of sauce into a large bowl for the meatballs.
Work in batches to finely chop fresh broccoli. Place broccoli in the manual food processor and process until finely chopped (about 1½ cups). I love my manual food processor!! It is definitely a top favorite of mine!! So easy to use and clean. Just remember not to submerge the lid/pump into the water when cleaning. Add to a large bowl.
Add beef broth to the remaining sauce in the batter bowl and whisk to combine. Pour the sauce into the deep-covered baker. The deep-covered baker is a great power tool for your kitchen. A beautiful stoneware that makes great meals in the microwave or oven.
My deep-covered baker is now about seven years old, and although a different color – it works like a charm. Now just add rice and stir gently.
Add beef, panko, whites of the green onions, and egg to the large bowl. Now mix it all up. I used my trusty Mix & Chop. The Medium Scoop helped shape the Beef And Broccoli Meatballs and keep them all the same size. The scoops are used for so many things in my kitchen – so handy!
Shape about 15 Beef And Broccoli Meatballs and place them on top of the rice in the baker. However, one error that I made was that the Beef And Broccoli Meatballs were too close together. Keep a little space between them for optimal cooking. Cover and microwave for 9-11 minutes. YES – MICROWAVE. I was skeptical about microwaving meat at first, but this is magical! Tastes so good.
The internal temp of meat should be 160°F, and make sure rice is cooked. Remove the lid. Microwave, covered, for 3-4 minutes. Garnish with remaining green onions.
Basic Light Beef And Broccoli Meatballs
- 1 piece ginger - fresh, about 1 inch
- ⅓ cup soy sauce - reduced-sodium
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic
- 6 ounces broccoli - florets, fresh
- 1½ cups beef stock (beef broth or beef bouillon) - unsalted
- 2 cups white rice - white uncooked
- 8 ounces ground beef (minced beef) - (85%) lean
- ⅓ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 stalks green onions (scallions or green shallots)
- 1 medium egg - beaten
- Grate/zest 1-2 teaspoons of ginger into a small batter bowl. Add soy sauce, brown sugar, and garlic pressed with Garlic Press; whisk until combined. Transfer 2 tablespoons of sauce into a large bowl for meatballs.
- Place broccoli in a manual food processor and process into finely chopped (1½ cups); work in batches. Add to a large bowl.
- Add beef broth to the remaining sauce in a batter bowl and combine with a whisk. Pour sauce into the Deep Covered Baker. Add rice and gently stir.
- Add beef, panko, whites of green onions and egg into the large bowl. Use a medium scoop to shape meatballs (about 15). Place on top of rice in the baker. Cover and microwave for 9-11 minutes. Make sure the internal temp is 160°F, and the rice is cooked.
- Remove the lid. Microwave, covered for 3-4 minutes. Remove from the microwave and garnish with remaining onions.